Monday, May 7, 2012

Space Marine Fleets: 3

Ok, so, not so good. I forgot one of the most crucial parts of the mold making process on the loyalist strike cruiser; the mold release. I made part 1 of the mold and then poured part 2. About 10 minutes later, I realized that I forgot to put the mold release on part 1. The next day, it was one solid brick. The only way I could make it work was to cut it right down the center. Actually, It worked at first but down the line, I missed some of the smaller pieces and that was pretty much that.

On a brighter note, I have been working on a home-brew silicone mold concaulktion (see what I did there?).

Here is the recipe I have been working with...
Silicone Caulk Mold Making

At this moment, I am waiting for the second mold to dry. The first one worked remarkably well and only had 1 bubble in a part that didn't matter. Actually, I am starting to think it is working better than the Alumilite pourable kind. This stuff, after you mix it up, is a little like spreading peanut butter but it is a little easier to spread because it's more rubbery. What I have been doing is building up the Lego frame one level above the other material. With the right mix, it works out to just about the perfect height to be able to fill all the area with the mold material, and make it easy to spread it with a knife. It feels a little weird having to spread it but I have found that when you do it slowly and smoothly, it covers very well and there really isn't many air bubble problems. We will see when the part 2 of this mold is done. One thing that worries me a little is that this mold, when dried, is much more floppy than the Alumilite one. I think that is probably better because it will be easier to get the resin out of the mold when it's done being cast and not rip parts of the mold. By the way, I did remember the mold release this time...

No comments:

Post a Comment